You may or may not have heard about the meeting between top national "tea party" leaders and Michael Steele. I have some info on that front. The person who organized this meeting is none other than Karin Hoffman. Now that doesn't mean squat to most of you, but she is among the leadership of DC works for US right here in S.Florida. In recent days she has been a great inspiration to me. She has played a huge role in motivating me to get into the local political scene by supporting local candidates and getting involved in the REC. I was quite ill last week and did not realize that Karin was involved in this.
This is a blog post from S.FL 9/12:
"Michael Steel to court Tea Party Leaders
Posted by Fred Scheibl on February 15, 2010 · 6 Comments
According to the Washington Post, about 50 leaders of grass roots groups are meeting with RNC Chairman Michael Steele and top party “operatives” tomorrow in Washington. Karin Hoffman, the South Florida leader of DC Works for US (and a 9-12 Project member as well), is quoted in the story:
Karin Hoffman, founder of DC Works For Us, a South Florida tea party group, said she initiated the meeting by approaching Steele last month and asking him to sit down with a range of tea party organizers. She said her goal is to open a civil dialogue with the GOP leadership, but she dismissed any suggestion that tea party groups would merge with the Republican Party.
“From the get-go, the grass-roots movement emerged from people desiring to be heard and not feeling like their voices are being heard in Washington,” Hoffman said in an interview. “This is the beginning of a formal discussion with the political establishment.”

I was quite ill last week and did not realize that Karin was involved in this. When I found out, I sent Karin this e-mail wishing her luck:
"I was sick and had no clue it was you going to see Mr. Steele in DC. I saw a story on the news that "tea party leaders" were going to meet Steele but I am just getting over my cold and didn't pay much attention. While I have not known you that long, I can honestly say that there is nobody I'd rather have speaking for me as I know you speak your mind. I hope Steele listens to you and whoever is with you. I can only imagine how much work you put in doing all this. Know that it is appreciated by both me and tea party friends from all over the country."
Karin sent this reply this morning:
"Thank you Andrew.
We will be bold for you and the rest of America that is tired of not being
heard.
Your words are an encouragement to me, especially today. Press conference
to follow.
Karin"
Trust me when I tell you that Karin speaks her mind. I did a blog post for their site when I was sick and it was full of mistakes and Karin took me to task on it. She did not know I was sick, but does know I can do better and made it clear that I need to. That was good constructive criticism and she was right. She most definitely spoke her mind, just as she does at DC works for US meetings. Something tells me Steele will be happy when this meeting is over.
No comments:
Post a Comment